“Love and being loving is not simply affections and good feelings…loving others is standing in your truth even when it pisses others off. Being loving is telling someone when their actions are destructive to others or themselves…being loving is not for the weak. Love stands its ground.”
The word “love” is so often misunderstood and that causes it to be misused in so many ways–too many ways to even list here.
Love isn’t lust; it isn’t attachment; it isn’t needy; it isn’t forceful; it isn’t controlling and it isn’t manipulating. “Love is who/what we are in essence. It is the very core of our existence” is a statement we hear all too often (or something similar to it) but what does that mean?
“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part,but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.”
~Holy Bible–1 Corinthians 13:1-10
In looking at the above passage from the Holy Bible, we see so much truth about Love and what Love really is and, in turn, who we truly are! Too often Love is confused with need or attachment. These are only fear-based feelings/emotions and they are actually the opposite of Love. When you feel you need another person in your life to make you whole or fulfilled or to keep you from feeling the fear of being alone (abandoned) and when you feel the need to control or manipulate another person in order to make yourself feel secure, you are not feeling Love; you are feeling fear. Even when you feel those romantic feelings bubbling up inside of you, that is not Love; it’s romance which IS a form of Love, but because those romantic feelings can soon fade away, they are not what Love truly is. So what is Love? Let’s break it down.
- Love is confident.
- Love stands in it’s own truth.
- Love is free.
- Love doesn’t hide, but rather stands boldly in the face of life’s challenges.
- Love seeks only the good in others as well as the self.
- Love gives freely.
- Love receives freely.
- Love does not fear.
- Love does not brag for Love knows itself and, therefore, there is no need to prove anything.
- Love embraces all; dark and light.
- Love IS all; dark and light.
- Love is allowing because Love trusts the path of self and others.
- Love trusts because Love knows that everything serves a divine purpose.
- Love is patient because Love is not bound by time or space.
- Love has no need of jealousy or envy.
- Love does not dishonor others because Love knows that we are all ONE and what you do to one, you do to the self and everything in existence.
- Love is laughter, joy and bliss!
- Love is powerful and there is no limit to it’s power.
- Love never fails! LOVE NEVER fails! (So don’t be afraid to take risks! There is NO failure!)
- Love lets go of what is perceived as wrong because Love knows there is no need for “ammo” to be used to bring harm to another. Instead, Love knows it’s power and stands fully in it.
- Love does not give up or give in.
- Love speaks only what is true and what will edify another (the whole/ONE).
- Love is not afraid to be heard.
- Love does not seek approval because Love knows itself.
- Love is healing.
- Love is not blind!
- Love is safe.
- Love is vulnerable because Love understands that in vulnerability is where true strength and courage is found.
- Love is infinite and cannot be destroyed, therefore, Love does not fear death, pain, hardship or loss. Love realizes that these things are just another expression of itself that are necessary for evolution/expansion/awareness.
- Love does not judge.
Now, go back to the top of the list and fill in the word “Love” with the word “I (or I AM)” because that is who you are!
No one single person can put into words all that Love is because, ultimately, Love is just everything; every breath, every experience, every word, every deed, every sound, every movement, every pain, every laugh, every cry, every cloud, every planet, every grain of sand, every drop of water…EVERYTHING is Love and to try to put it into words for our own human understanding is undermining the truth that LOVE is something you feel; it’s something you KNOW; it’s what/who you ARE. There are no limits to your own personal understanding of this.
LOVE–real LOVE, TRUE Love–is not blind; in fact, it sees through every mask; it sees through every lie; it sees beyond what is revealed. Nothing–not even YOU–can hide from the truth of LOVE.